A Travellerspoint blog

A Day in Sydney

Saturday, 13 April 2013

Ten hours is a long time to be seated, regardless of the fact that the seats were quite comfortable. We read, dozed and watched the display of speed, elevation, outside temperature and time to our destination. Breakfast was a choice of omelet or Asian porridge, I stayed conservative and opted for the omelet. Our touchdown is Sydney was within minutes of the scheduled time which is quite an achievement given the distance.

Decided to sit back and let the hordes exit as we were in no rush with no specific schedule to stick to. On exiting the aircraft we were seen off by a reception line of cabin crew. Still looking immaculate and big friendly smiles. If you get the impression that I like Asiana, you've got it right, it is a pity their flights out of Australia are very limited.

Passed through Immigration with no problems and then collected our baggage. The Quarantine counter is always a difficult one, what do you need to declare?? We'd decided to err on the side of caution and declared some wood in the set of 'Bubooshka' dolls, we explained what the 'wood product' was and weren't even asked to produce them. Out into the real world of the Sydney International Terminal. The whole place makes you feel that you've gone through a time warp and been relocated to some third-world country in Africa 20 years ago. The place is depressing, congested and plain grubby and certainly no great welcome to Australia.

I contacted the shuttle bus service and we set off on a route march to where the bus was parked. It may be due to a bit of fatigue but it felt like we were halfway into the city. The vehicle was barely serviceable and the driver was slovenly. My mood took a further down-turn when we bounced our way into the city on second rate roads already congested despite it being early Saturday.

Checked in at the Great Southern and were promised a room within the hour and storage for our bags. Not bad seeing it was only 09:00. We took up the offer of the bag storage and wandered off for a cuppa. As promised, the room was available and we gratefully found our way to room 211. All that we could ask for and without further ado we crashed.

Woke again about 16:00, refreshed ourself and sorted what we should wear today and tomorrow. Big adjustment to go from 1 °C in Seoul to Sydney's 25 °C or higher. Next thing, need to find somewhere to have lunch/dinner. We've eaten at the Great Southern previously but I'd noticed a very interesting hamburger joint towards Town Hall when we were last here. We decided to check it out and were not disappointed. A hamburger with fries and a 600 ml Coke for $11, and a bonus of some lively chat with the family who run the OzTurk restaurant. Open 24 hours and providing the best range of take away or eat in food we'd seen in such a small space.

While waiting for our order to be prepared we took time to study the menu in greater detail. There is a Middle Eastern flavour with many dishes advertised as Halal. Kebabs, pizzas, pide bread sandwiches, fish & chips and a great range of hamburgers, there are no doubt other items mixed in as well. Most are 'packaged' as a combination including chips and/or soft-drinks. They also do a breakfast so we'll check that out in the morning.

Back to the hotel to write this up and prepare for the last leg of this journey.

Internet connection is available but quite expensive so I'll post this when I can.

Meanwhile, if you'd like to see my recent images you could try the following link. Recent Images on 365

Cheers ... Tony

Posted by greynomadm 00:12 Archived in Australia

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint